Thursday, May 04, 2006

May (2) 2006

When returning to the work after vacation, it was a holiday week, so I was the only court appointed expert witness in the field of image processing and biometrics that week in. My colleagues had decided that we had to stop the cases, since we had an overflow of cases, and could not accept any cases until July.

It is not easy to refuse cases that come in, and are from the court or from other important requesters. So, this week I had several cases coming in that could not be refused, and that made feasible questions. Much on face comparison, image processing and length measurements / photogrammetry.

We also looked further in several new publications for our research and development projects. One of these was on camera identification on noise. We had several questions around this (how unique is this, compared to pixel defects). For that reason I was requesting for a student project at the University of Delft, or of course any other student that is interested.

Several projects I was working on, had some kind of development. I was very satisfied with the results of our students Informatics when I came back on the biometrics.

One other project is working together with the Amsterdam Police. I had started some project, and everyone is cooperative in words, however in final it did not work out as expected yet. Sometimes you need more patience, and just go ahead with the work. Today, I just listened to the concerns of several departement heads, and mirrored their opinions. I did not disagree or agree with any opinion, and it worked out. As always listening and asking questions concerning their thoughts makes it easier to understand how to proceed. I think in final it will be a great project.

As always I am optimistic, and will just proceeds with the projects. There are many nice things to do, and some of them work, and other do not.

No comments: